Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 03: Carbondale, PA to Towanda, PA

Saturday started off cold, dry and windy with my panniers near empty as I was wearing just about everything I packed. To get an idea that included - merino base layer, short sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, soft shell, 3/4 bibs, leg warmers, wool socks, full finger gloves and a neck warmer. Yikes, I could barely move.

However bundled I was I managed a brisk 15mph average for the first 50 miles. I have the gentlemen at the roadside diner to thank for that - he directed me off Route 6 which lead to an immediate downhill into a river valley. The road wasn't completely flat but it followed a decent sized river that was. I crossed the river multiple times as well as an orange extension cord. Seriously it ran for MILES crossing and re-crossing the road - a household extension cord! What gives? Halloween decoration? I did not compute.





Anyway very scenic, you get the idea.





And traversing a valley means the Pennsylvania RR gets to traverse you and the surrounding fields.





After a quick stop in a small town I saw about a dozen racer types cruise by as I was finishing my tea - I immediately gave chase due to lack of cycling company ;) I caught up and had a nice chat only to realize we had a tailwind. What, a tailwind?! I guess I was so excited to see some other bikers I took a wrong turn in their direction, which happened to be south...

Back on Route 6 WEST gave me an idea what I was in for the rest of the day. Four mile climbs at 7mph and four mile descents at 27mph - and nothing in between.





And to the top - only to coast back down to river level four miles later - then repeat about 6 times.





Kind of exhausting so I took a long lunch in Wyalusing at a cute little hotel/restaurant that the white haired couple suggested last night. Not a bad place except for the "what the hell are you wearing/doing in this bar" stares.





Back to Route 6 I was kind of sick of the up down up down so I tried a bit of a short cut on 'River Road' which conveniently ran adjacent to the river and railroad...





For a few miles it was flat and paved, then it was just hard packed dirt. However picturesque there was work to be done at the end of this 'short cut.'





After a relaxing 8 miles my view in reverse connecting back up to Rt 6.





Luckily I was only 8 miles away from my goal of 75 for the day...





Towanda!
I stayed in a great Bed and Breakfast run by a guy named Jack (sorry I forgot to return the room key).  It was beautiful inside and out.  The stairs leading to my room:

Goodnight!


p.s.
this tree is wider than my bike; your argument is invalid :)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone (let's see if it actually works this time)

1 comment:

  1. i can't tell you how happy i am to follow you through my home state.
    a little melancholy i'm not actually there.
    safe travels + strange characters-

    ReplyDelete