Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 02: Port Jervis, NY to Carbondale, PA

I just paid $1.75 for a beer at a bar and met a dude from England cycling across America from JFK. What's going on here? I'm in the middle of nowhere, Seriously.

Also a late breakfast introduced me to another guy who rode across the US back in the 70s at this empty local cafe in Port Jervis:





Coincidence? Maybe I should just keep going? Hmm not after today. Today consisted of endless rollers, a 15mph head wind and sputtery rain... all day long. After five hours of cycling I only traveled 32 miles and was a bit worried.





The passing traffic was fast, the visibility poor and there were waterfalls every five miles. Oh and the wind chill was 40 degrees.





So I stopped for lunch in a nice little village and enjoyed a hot coffee for the first time of the trip. I wanted to make sure the headache was from lack of caffeine rather than dehydration ;) The coffee fixed it.





Post lunch was... better, to say the most. I managed to ride 32 more miles not without climbs and a few great views.

However beautiful, appropriately located (at the top of a windy ridge, of course, which I knew I would have to climb):





I knew the wind turbines would lead me to this, the highest point in the area (according to the white haired couple sitting next to me at the bar.)





And finally Carbondale, not a hotel in site, but a few nice buildings.





Had to ride up hill and out of town for 4 miles to find an off-season motel/bar that caters to the ski resort crowd... Just as the winds picked up and the rain started again.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment