Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 05: Ulysses, PA to Warren, PA

First things first, climb the Eastern Continental Divide - which happens to be a triple divide - from this point water sheds North to the Saint Lawrence Seaway, East to the Atlantic and West to the Mississippi River. The nearest pass to the triple divide is US Rt 6 at Denton Hill which I accidentally did not climb yesterday :) In the morning we were only a few degrees away from a frost when I left the Pine Log Motel and it probably got a bit cooler once I got to the top.




With only a peanut butter sandwich, 600ft of elevation and two miles of climbing later I arrived 100ft below the actual triple divide to the North. Most of Rt 6 had a double lane for trucks to creep up the hills and of course that extra lane was a nice warning to what was ahead.



After a much deserved downhill and about 50 miles of rollers I was finally about to enter the Allegheny National Forest.




But not without some local input; the guys sitting next to me at lunch in Smethport kindly suggested route 59 to save me about 20 miles. I happily continued West through the sputtering rain.




Until (it had to happen sometime) the dreaded 20 miles of fresh tar and chip. The roadway was nicely packed, however tempting I was confined to the shoulder by hastily passing logging trucks.




And finally what I'd been waiting for all day - the descent to the Allegheny Reservoir and 8 miles later my stop for the night in Warren, PA.





Downhill and arrival, Yay!




And the lake.




And of course the dam, sorry salmon!




Nice lawn by the way.

The Budget Inn was shady and every restaurant in Warren was closed on Monday nights, why?

But it was a cute town.




Not bad for an 80 mile day and 5 hours and 45 minutes in the saddle. On to the next!

At
Location:Warren, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment